Groom Toasts – Don’t Say the Wrong Thing!

When it comes to pleasing people, forgetting to thank someone is one thing – but saying the wrong thing altogether in groom toasts could be a complete disaster! Thankfully I really wanted to avoid this, so looked up a number of great tips to help you avoid this embarrassing situation.
Pleasing Your Bride
One of the worst things you could possibly do is to start talking about previous relationships. It might seem obvious, but believe me there are grooms that do it! Even if you want to compare your new wife favourably, if she’s anything like mine she will not appreciate it – especially on the most important day of her life!
You should also speak favourably of the bride at all times. Though it may seem fitting to add a slightly teasing joke, this is not the right situation for it. In my speech I stuck to what I knew my bride would want me to say, and it worked!

Alcohol
No matter how well you might have prepared your speech (probably better than I did!) your number one worst enemy could be alcohol. This has the potential to bring just about anyone down, making them say the wrong thing. I was really wary of this and decided to hold off much drinking until the speech was over. I’m glad I did!
A Few Other Tips
One thing that made the idea of grooms speeches stressful to me was the fact I didn’t plan ahead. And not planning ahead means being in a lot less control of what you say. Luckily there are now plenty of sources of help online for those who want even a funny wedding speech that doesn’t offend anyone.
Lastly I want to say that, no matter how well you say things, going on for too long isn’t going to go down well. Try to work on your speech so it doesn’t take an hour to deliver!